Sunday, November 15, 2015

Building Community… One Plate at a Time

In a community of six, there is one Vegan, one Vegetarian, four Carnivores and six JVs exploring the Social and Ecological Justice of Food. Food is personal. Food is debatable. Food is always a conversation. Therefore, upon entering life as a JV, I quickly learned that my previous eating habits and preferences were not those of a JV community budget, but also vastly different from those of my community. We were all raised in different households with unique traditions and special family meals. There are also six different interpretations of food justice, social justice and ecological justice which impact how an individual eats. Our differences, however, do not necessarily mean that food cannot bring us together.

Over the past three months, there have been numerous discussions and opinions stated. Food is not a one and done topic. It is continually revisited because opinions are being reformed, enlightened and impacted by the day-to-day experiences that are a part of a year of service. Although the community of Casa de Paz has an array of varied beliefs, we are able to come together for community meals.

What have I learned over the past three months? I have learned that the more I make an effort to inform myself and be open to the beliefs and even dishes of others, the closer my
relationships with those of my community become. As I explore the bounds of my culinary talents, my community shares in meals rooted in love, friendship and an inherent dignity of those we break bread with!

My Actual Creation! Yumm! 
And if anyone is interested, here are a couple vegan recipes that were a community hit and easy to make!


Macaroni and Cheese! 


*The contents of this page, and all links appearing on this page, do not represent the positions, views or intents of Jesuit Volunteer Corps Northwest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment